The 2014/15 ski season is coming to an end, only Val Thorens is still left open. It has been another fun season and it was great to meet so many SkiGB.com readers!
There have been highs and lows this season, shall we start with the lows.
- The start of the season took a little while until the snow arrived for some of the 3 valleys ski resorts, Meribel and Courchevel in particular. This meant many skiers headed up higher to Val Thorens to find snow.
- Due to the changes in temperature and large dumps of snow some weeks were very dangerous off-piste. It was very sad to hear of several skiers and snowboarders getting caught up in High avalanches risks. It is a stark reminder that the mountains need respect.
- Some of the resorts got blocked by rock falls so traveling to and from the resorts had some very long delays.
However, there haven’t been too many negatives.
Now, this leads me onto the good bits of this season. 🙂
I am not going to be able to list all of them here as there are too many but here are just a few.
- Snow, boy did we have some great snow all over the 3 Valleys. When the big dumps came they came big!
- This season we celebrated lots, Meribel hosting the Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals, Les Menuires reaching the grand old age of 50 years old and the many Courchevel international fireworks and parties put on by the resorts and local businesses, thank you all!
- Almost all of the ski resorts had improvements on previous seasons, whether new ski lifts, new car parks, new bars (our favourite) or new pistes, the ski resorts have once again spent a lot of money ensuring the 3 valley ski resorts are the best in the world.
- The resorts have also won some more awards, Val Thorens winning the Worlds Best Ski Resort for the second year in a row to name one of many.
- We have some more Michelin stars arrive in the 3 Valleys making the area a place to visit just to eat!
We could go on and was very tempted to do so but you would probably get bored reading this especially if you didn’t make it out this season.
Next season will be here before you know it so now is a good time to start planning your trip
There are lots of changes planned for next season which we will write about soon so come back!
SkiGB.com will also be having a makeover throughout the summer where there will be new sections of the ski bringing lots of new functionality. We will be letting you know about this nearer the time.
Additionally, we will be on Twitter, Google+ and Facebook if you would like to join in with our discussions about the ski resorts of the 3 valleys.