Val Thorens once again are leading the way for European ski resorts. For the 2013/14 ski season they have launched their own Zip Wire.
For just under 2 minutes you can travel at over 100 km/h over one of Val Thorens and Orelle’s valleys. This is not for the faint hearted and we are not sure its for people who are scared of heights, but it looks impressive! So here are the facts:
- Length: 1300 metres
- Starting Altitude: 3230 metres
- Arrival Altitude: 3000 metres
- Max height above the ground: 250 metres
- Speed: 65 to 105 km/h
- Age: from 8 to 88 years old
- Weight: Max 120 kg
- Travel time: 1 minute 45 seconds
- Price: 50€ (purchased on-site)
- Start: The top of the Bouchet chairlift in Orelle (10,597ft)
- Finish: Summit in Val Thorens (9,842)
- Weather: It is high up and high winds or bad weather can stop it running
- Max wind Zip Wire can be used: 12mph
- Will you be scared: Oh yes!
- What do you do with my skis or board? You strap your skis or board to your back so you can continue skiing afterwards.
- Time to make the zip Wire: 2 years
- Cost to build: £663,000 (800,000 euros)
- Concrete used: 240 tons
- Up to 80 skiers/snowboards per day
Link to the full size Val Thorens Piste Map Still need convincing? Maybe this video will help!